Hey there! It's Debs from Salted Mint and I'm popping in today to talk all things tarts. More specifically, easy roasted spring vegetable tarts. If you're anything like me, as soon as the sun warms the earth and the flowers start to sprout, your mind instantly goes to alfresco dining, easy entertaining and simple dinners that can double as tomorrow's desk lunch extraordinaire. And since you need to soak up all that sunshine, you need all this to happen in 30 minutes.
Normally I'd say that's a tall order. But today I think I've got the perfect solution for us. This roasted vegetable tart with dark and sweet onion jam as the base, the first asparagus of the season and a ball of the creamiest burrata cheese. All this can happen for your dinner table in 30 minutes!
Simple Roasted Spring Vegetable Tart With Burrata // Serves 6
- 1 sheet puff pastry (thawed if using frozen)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 Tablespoons fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 3 Tablespoons onion jam
- 2 bunches asparagus
- 1/2 bunch sprouting cauliflower or tender stem
- Seed Mixture
- 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 Tablespoon poppy seeds
- To Serve
- 1 cup mixed leaves
- 1 ball burrata or mozzarella
- Pre heat the oven to 390f. Roll the puff pastry onto a piece of baking paper and place on a baking tray.
- Leaving 1 inch around the edge of the tart, gently score a border, being sure to not cut all the way through the pastry. Brush the pastry with the beaten egg and sprinkle with the seed mixture and 1 tablespoon of the thyme leaves.
- Spread the onion jam over the base of the tart and leave the edge clean.
- Lay the asparagus width ways down the centre of the tart and top with the asparagus ribbons and the cauliflower or tender stem. Add the remainder of the thyme leaves.
- Bake the tart for 20-25 minutes. The vegetables will be golden and just starting to char in some spots and the pastry will be golden and flaky.
- Top with the leaves and the ball of burrata.
Tart notes: To keep this tart for the next day, remove the cheese from the top and store in a separate container so that the crust doesn’t go soggy.
This tart is the perfect balance between a few key pantry ingredients and some serious help from Mother Nature. The pantry ingredients that you'll need are puff pastry and a jar of good quality onion jam. For the puff pastry, make sure to grab a sheet of it rather than a block, so you can even skip the rolling out process and just get right on with this sweet little vegetable tart. And that sesame/poppy seed mixture is not to be missed!
The step by step for this vegetable tart is an absolute breeze. In order to get that amazing rise on the outside of the crust, score a 1 inch border around the edge of the tart and be sure that you only put the veggies inside the border. To add amazing texture and boost flavour, sprinkle the base with sesame seeds, poppy seeds and fresh thyme leaves. Then spread the onion jam over the base leaving the edge.
All you need to do now is lay the asparagus down the centre of the tart and top with some sweet sprouting cauliflower and bake. If you can't get it, then purple sprouting broccoli or tender stem work beautifully here. And those gorgeous asparagus ribbons? All you need is a vegetable peeler. Gently shave one of the spears from bottom to top getting as many ribbons as you can. Top with some leaves for instant elegance and you're good to go. Because this is so simple, it's perfect for weeknight entertaining and doubles as lunch the next day.
This will be your new go-to recipe all spring long!