A MOVE TOWARDS MODERN

Since leaving college, I have moved six times in my life. Not counting moments (ok months) where I was living with my parents in between housing. (That would take it up to at least eight or nine.) Out of all those moves, I have lived in three charming apartments, one basement of a rather sizeable home, a crummy little place in LA, and a condo an hour outside of Seattle. And, out of all of those spaces – not one has ever been what I would call modern.

Whether it’s a craving for something new, an evolution of preferences, or simply a hankering to be more of a city girl, I must say that lately, I’ve been drawn to a more urban style in my surroundings…

hill house dining roomdwell mag loft bedroom

I find this somewhat humorous because I certainly don’t feel this way about furniture. A few modern pieces here and there are fine with me, but really I prefer the classics. Which is good, because (you know me), I love a good contrast in styles. I envision my trimmed black and white sofa or aqua chandelier in a concrete loft, and I think… why not!?

kitchen via marie claire maison

Truth be told, I’ve had my sights set on this new apartment complex that’s just gone up a few blocks from my new office. I could walk to work, and have a view of the water! It’s got floor to ceiling windows and a great kitchen, which are two things on my wish list. Another truth be told – it would be a tough jump in my budget right now, so I’m sitting tight and exploring my options.

Marina-HT02_rect640-1

But I can’t seem to get this idea out of my head. Granted – it has to be done right. Many places are too cold, or poorly done, that are built with this look in mind. And I can’t help but wonder if I’ll miss charming doorways and pretty moldings (perhaps I’ll get lucky and find a place with both!). But, it might be fun to switch things up right? And since I’ll have my fill of gorgeous traditional detail in my office space… it might be nice to change things up at home!

è bella_luxe magazine

Yes, my dears, I think it might be time for some real change around here. Higher ceilings, and open floor plans await!

*images: 1 & 2 barbara hills via dwell mag // marie claire maison // apartment therapy // folly farm

19 responses on “A MOVE TOWARDS MODERN

1. Jill

Great find! You must have that apartment! The contrast between your office and your home will get your fix of the need for both traditional and modern – and at this point in your career and in your life, you deserve a very grown up apartment! Good luck!

2. Lisa | Happy By

Oh girl! It is not a matter of thinking about it anymore, right? I feel you have already made up your mind, taken the risk and you are really digging the change. I’d say do it, just go on. Even if you don’t like it as much or if your budget changes, you can always move once more :)

3. Peggy

Sounds like your mind is made up, so find that something sleek and modern! And, are you sure you don’t want the same in furnishings? One thing may be leading to the other although you may not yet recognize this. Just a thought…

4. Maggie Rose

I’ve kind of considered something similar for our next place – we’ll likely rent one more time before we buy, and it might be my last chance to try something really different and modern. Love the loft feel, and this building certainly has beautiful views! Bookmarking for the Apartment Search of 2014! Haha.

5. cara

Yes, we completely sympathize with your sentiments. We tend to gravitate towards more classic pieces and architectural details, but have noticed an increased interest, both in our personal tastes and those of our clients, in combining more contemporary elements/spaces with traditional pieces. This is certainly a good way to give a modern aesthetic more lasting power. Looking forward to seeing more images like these! (we love the inspiration!)

6. mikky

Just checked out the apartment, it looks great. The view is really spectacular I can see why you’d want to live there. The only thing I didn’t like was the bathroom, kinda blah looking, but I’m sure you can dress it up nicely. And is there a pool? Not sure if that was just a lounging little water feature or a pool in the photos. Girl needs a sweet swimming pool in a chic apartment like that.

mikky

7. Anne

It looks wonderful, full of light! I love the image of a turquoise chandelier with concrete, the blend of rich fabric and sleek surfaces. Hope you get your dream condo!

8. Calley

Oh I know people who just moved into the Post – they love it! The common areas are amazing, and the huge windows in all of the apartments let in so much light (necessary on grey days like today!)

9. Anna (My Design Ethos)

I know exactly what you are talking about! We currently live in an old ‘Queenslander’ house (a classic Australian style) and while i love it, and all my vintage furniture, I am looking forward to moving into something a little more simple and modern. I think it contrasts so beautifully with classic furniture, whereas classic furniture in classic house can feel a little too, well, classic!